Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hold on, what?

Troopers release driver after seizing thousands in cash on I-80

So, apparently, the Highway Patrol can confiscate all of your money because, "I believe that the money was going to California to purchase narcotics." And then, "The driver will now have to prove his story in court if he wants to get it back."

I may be new to the law enforcement thing, but I was under the impression that transporting a large amount of money was not illegal in and of itself. Even if you have a criminal record, and even if a drug dog says the money smells like drugs, it seems a bit unfair to take "nearly $200,000 in cash" away from someone and then make them go to court to prove that they weren't going to use it to buy drugs.

And even if they did intend to buy drugs with it, how does that make it illegal to have the money? If you suspect someone is going to buy drugs you can just take away their money and tell them "prove you weren't going to buy drugs"? How do you prove you weren't going to do something exactly?

I don't think I can agree with this type of preemptive, based-on-suspicion law enforcement.

No comments: