Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunburn

I got a sunburn yesterday from sleeping out on the grass in the sun for about 1.5 hours. It is glorious. There were actually times when I felt uncomfortably hot, it was so great.

In the morning I made a presentation of my work to the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences Spring Research Conference. It was a neat opportunity to organize the research I've been doing and show people. Sadly my videos didn't work because I had to present off a Mac without the proper codecs, but I think it went fairly well anyways. It was nice to have a couple of friends show up to watch and support me. Hehehe, I was the only person in my session to have 2, count'em 2, girls show up to watch; quite the feat in a Computer Science session. ;-) I then went around and watched some other people present their work. One of the two girls presented her work on creating molecular bowls. It involved a lot of Chemistry words that I don't think I have ever learned, but the pictures looked really cool.

In the afternoon sessions I listened to a girl present her work on using Fourier Transforms to get the frequency spectrum of audio samples and using machine learning ideas to do song identification. I thought that was really interesting and I really think I want to try and do further work like that for my Master's degree if possible. Since I'm currently taking Machine Learning from her adviser I'll talk to him about it and see what he thinks.

After my nap in the sun I cleaned up the kitchen (in which it rained last night from the apartment upstairs....) and then headed off into the world to visit that one Board writer whom I seem to be spending lots of time with lately. In order to get to her place I have to walk by a flower shop, and today just seemed so awesome out that flowers were necessary. So I picked up a bouquet and finished my walk. When she came to the door I surprised her with the flowers and she got all giddy. Hehehe, I like it when girls act girly.

After an excellent dinner of Papa John's Hawaiian Barbecue Pizza we went up to the Marriott center to see Guitars Unplugged. It was pretty good this year. It was so very awesome to be outside again, at night, in shorts, and be comfortable. I can't wait until this summer.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I decided today was my own personal "writer appreciation day." I hope you are well, my friend! Thank you for all your hard work to keep the Board running smoothly!

~K