Sunday, July 29, 2007

Apathy anyone?

So the other day I happened to be wandering around the University Mall in Orem. I went into "Best in Music" and started thumbing through some trombone music. As I was doing so I overheard the clerks talking about a guy that had been in earlier that day. Apparently this guy came in and started picking guitars off the wall and playing Eric Clapton songs. The clerk on duty becoming suspicious asked if he was Eric Clapton to which the guy apparently chuckled and answered affirmatively, saying that he was just passing through the area and was checking out local guitar shops. Whether or not this really was Eric Clapton, I guess we'll never know.

At about this point in the conversation the fire alarms in the mall begin sounding off. I look up to see what the noise is and see that it's the fire alarms, I look around at the people in the store, no on moves. I put back the music I was looking at and beginning heading for the exit, and notice that NO ONE is reacting. In my field of view were the 4 or 5 other shoppers in "Best in Music" and a fair number of people visible in the hall. Probably 20 people in total, they all just continued on their way not even hesitating at the blaring fire alarm. After it had been going off for about 30 seconds I had reached the front of "Best in Music" and was stepping out into the hall when it stopped. I stood there dumbfounded by the fact that, as far as I could tell, I was the only person to think that leaving the mall might be a good idea when the fire alarm went off. No wonder this country is so screwed up, people don't even care about their lives enough to leave a burning building.

On a complete different note: I had a great day on Saturday, I hope to have another day as great next week.

No comments: