Friday, June 06, 2008

The Second Interview: Are you legit?

So earlier this week (Wednesday) I had my second interview with the company previously mentioned. Not that I mean to criticize, but they probably should have planned ahead as to what they wanted to ask me questions about. It mostly ended up being a general information gathering type session. The developer I spoke with mostly just asked me if I knew things like, have I used X before, how much work have done in X, how familiar am I with X, do I feel confident programming in X, why do you want to work with us, what do you plan to do when you graduate, what do you want this job to do for you and your future plans... those kinds of things. I was never actually asked to exhibit any of my programming skills or system design skills. Towards the end of the interview I actually offered to show him some of my work, which he let me do. He seemed pretty excited with what I'm able to do in my various non-pay capacities.

On Thursday morning the HR guy called me to see if I wanted the position. So I accepted and headed into the office to sign all sorts of papers about Non-Disclosure Agreements, company policies, At-Will employment, etc. Then we were waiting for one of the developers to come in so he could setup an account for me, during which waiting time I was sent to play the Wii, which I did. I played about 10 bouts of boxing without losing, taking a guest account from 0 to ~800 skill level. I also played some tennis, then I was starting to get tired so I turned it off and went to chat some. The developer showed up and got me an account setup. Due to the startup nature of the company, I'll be using my own laptop to work on, not a big deal, but a little silly. So I spent a few hours that evening installing software and setting up the SVN connections on my laptop. Not a bad way to spend the day getting paid at a pretty decent rate.

So, assuming this position continues as anticipated, I will have gratefully solved my financial problems which would have come to a head next March. And I can start feeling like I can buy groceries again without worrying if I really really want something or if I can live off of a cheaper cheaper set of food products.

1 comment:

enigmatic said...

Congrats on the new job. I hope it works out well. It is nice that the employment process was simple even if it wasn't well structured. For my job i needed to take a drug test and they did a background check on me. :)