Thursday, June 05, 2008

Things I've noticed that involve the church

1:
So lots of people have been following the trouble in Texas involving the polygamist sect and all. What I found interesting was that at the beginning the news reports all referred to the people involved as the FLDS church. Lately, however, they're always referred to as the "polygamist sect". I thought that was interesting and would not be surprised at all if the LDS church PR department requested that the term FLDS not be used because the LDS church doesn't like the suggestion that there is an active association there.

2:
The church has a rule that your not supposed to have red punch in the meeting halls to prevent stains on the carpet/chairs/etc. I've thought about this as I was watching an X-Files about a cult. I think part of that rule might be to avoid the appearance of having people "drink the Kool-Aid" which is often associated with the suicide ritual of cults. Where the participants drink the red Kool-Aid which has been poisoned. It would certainly not look good to have visitors come to an activity where people are all standing around drinking red punch. Just a thought on the subject.

No comments: