Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Life of Pi

I just finished reading The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I found it really interesting and can't wait to discuss it in depth with someone. Like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance the back of the book contains some "Discussion Questions". Although they are supposed to be thought provoking I found the presented questions incredibly bland for such a richly filled story. So I hope to actually discuss the depths of the novel. I don't think I can even write any kind of summary here without spoiling the book, so I will simply state that it was interesting and I will thoroughly enjoy analyzing it. If you're into contemporary philosophical type reads I'd recommend it. Anyone that enjoys either Life of Pi or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance will likely enjoy the other as well (Zen isn't nearly as brutal, fyi).

So, if you've read it, let's talk. If you haven't read it, read it, and then let's talk. We can start with: What would you do for survival? --Discuss on multiple levels: physical, mental, moral, meta-physical, etc...

1 comment:

Chillygator said...

Oh that WAS a good book! Been a few years, though, but I remember wanting someone to talk about it with when I'd finished.