Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Illness of Tuesday

I said I'd discuss my illness and then never did. So, here's your update on that.

My family spent most of the weekend at my sister's house, watching Conference, eating meals, etc. Her ward apparently had some stomach bug going around, but her house had been symptom free for a week before. On Monday night we met there again and had dinner of 5 Buck Pizza. Now, whether it was the pizza or the stomach bug we'll never know, but regardless I'll probably avoid 5 Buck Pizza at this point; probably not their fault, but those are the breaks.

Anyways, that was the setup. Tuesday morning I got up, was still tired, turned off my alarm and went to sleep for another hour. I crawled out of bed around 10 and started my morning internet routine, check the news, email, weather, etc. After sitting there for about 10 minutes I started feeling not so great in the digestive area. Curious as to if I were an isolated case I called my mom to see if anyone else was not feeling well after the pizza. She was also ill.

I haven't had digestive illness for a long while now. I thought I'd try a small sip of water as I was thirsty. Mistake. Within 30 seconds of that cap full of water hitting my stomach I was in the bathroom undoing the process, unpleasant. I've managed to not vomit in several years. I don't enjoy the process. Since I had just woken up there wasn't really anything to throw up, so it was mostly dry heaving and stomach acid... gross. On top of that my nose was running. On top of _that_ tears were dripping onto my glasses, and then drying leaving salt spot so I couldn't even see. I was a very miserable mess.

That was not all of my problems though. The vomiting continued sporadically for ~6-8 hours. This was accompanied with other... unpleasant... digestive issues. I think that from Tuesday at 10am to 10pm I spent 6 hours in the bathroom being sick or feeling like I was about to be sick, and the other six hours sleeping. I was able to sleep through the night only waking up a few times until about 9 Wednesday morning. So when I got up Wednesday morning I hadn't eaten anything for 36 hours. Tuesday afternoon after the vomiting had died down I was able to keep down small amounts of 7-up coupled with Tums, and a little water. So I was able to avoid complete dehydration.

All in all it was an incredibly unpleasant 24 hours to endure through. I really, really hope I did not pass the problem on to any roommates or friends (assuming it wasn't the pizza). So far no one I know has gotten ill so I think we're safe.

No comments: