Friday, December 15, 2006

CS470 Final Tournament

We ran the tournament today for the Final Project in CS470. It was run in World Cup style where teams were divided up in pools, and then played each person in the pool from both sides of the map. I won 5/6 games in my pool, and moved on to the 2nd round. Unfortunately, I lost a few games in round 2 because my damping code was primitive, and my tanks ended up in orbits around the enemy flag before finally taking it. This delay cost me the match at least twice. But the 2nd round was such that we had a circular winning cycle (think rock, paper, scissors). I could beat 1 guy, but he could beat the 3rd guy, but the 3rd guy could beat me. So after a 1st place winner was decided the remaining teams were played again to determine 2nd place. There were 3 teams, and we played on the Pacman world, so good path-planning was absolutely necessary. I won 5/6 games in this round as well and took 2nd place. So I'm pretty happy with that.

Come to find out the guy that won is actually a grad student, and this is his only class. So it was a bit of an unfair advantage since he was taking 3-credits total, and I'm taking 16. If I had that much time, I probably could have beaten him. Oh well. I did well. I'm happy.

1 comment:

ryanbyrd said...

i remember the good times back in cs470, good 'ol artificial intelligence, IIRC. and you had little tanks that received information about their near field and there were obstacles on the board that you sometimes needed to use stochastic bouncing to get around.

BYU, for the good times...

ryan byrd dot net