Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Scary Thought

So, I've been thinking. The rhetoric has already begun that terrorists will probably target the 2008 elections. My original fear was that King George would attempt to cancel or postpone the election claiming that terrorist attacks would make it too dangerous to hold. But, I think enough of the country would be unhappy about that so that it's not a feasible plan. What if, instead, the election were held, but the winning candidates were killed before Inauguration Day? Would we simply hand over the office to the runner ups? Would we hold a new election? I know of nothing that covers this situation in the law (I haven't studied it extensively, but I'm fairly certain this contingency isn't in the Constitution anywhere). With a Bush friendly Supreme Court, and a Bush friendly Attorney General, I don't know what would happen. I don't like where it may lead though:

1. President-elect and Vice-President-elect assassinated before taking office.
2. Bush declares National Emergency and using Executive Order 12919 begins a militarily enforced dictatorship.
3. ? I don't know what happens in step 3, but I sure hope we never have to find out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It sounds like you've been hearing about President Musharraf in Pakistan. If not then it is extremely funny that you just decided to post this seeing as something like that went on over there.