Sunday, January 21, 2007

Empty

Feelings hit me like a brick wall
whenever I give my mind room to wander.
And though they fill me with emotion
I am still empty with despair.

The storm grows stronger each night
and my vessel is tossed.
The madness that envelops my sea
has begun to convince me that all is lost.

So I let the anchor for my failing ship
slip away feeling that any effort would be futile.

And now I remain alone in the ocean.

----------------------------------------

Everything about my life is empty at the moment.
I have no direction or goal to drive me forward.
I don't have a lot of faith like some people do.
I've even begun to question things about my life that used to be fundamental.

I graduate in April. I don't know if I want to go to grad school. I don't know if I want to just get a job. I don't know where I would work if I did just get a job. I have no relationship to focus on. I have nothing but a handful of friends. And if I were to lose them right now I would really feel like I am worthless.

I've always put other people before myself. I've based my self-image off of being able to make other people happy. Make my teachers and parents happy by doing well in school. Put my effort into making my girlfriend-of-the-time happy. Go to church to make my parents happy, and the other people in the ward happy. Try to do what was right to make the people around me happy.

I can't even remember the last time I did something for the sole purpose of making myself happy in a lasting sense and not just temporarily.

I... I... I think I'm having a quarter-life crisis. I don't think I really know who I am. And in the last week I've actually wondered to myself if I really wanted to do Computer Science. I GRADUATE IN APRIL!! I can't decide now that CS isn't what I really want, it's already done.

I've always had someone telling me what I should be doing, or how I should be living my life, so I did it.... But now I have to figure out for myself what I should be doing, or how I should be living my life. And I don't know the answer to those questions. I'm such a mess.

2 comments:

Saule Cogneur said...

I had the same problem. I virtually changed majors AFTER I'd completed the final requirement for my BS. Basically, I ended up staying at BYU for an extra year in order to take classes that would allow me to start a graduate degree in the field that interested me. The extra year was tough, but it was the best professional decision I'd ever made.

(I sometimes read your board answers/comments on Katya's blog)

Jill said...

I had a quarter life crisis, so I moved to Central America.