Friday, March 07, 2008

Anthology of Nonsense: BYUSA Elections

As no one has responded with questions for a second Anthology of Interest yet, I dub this an Anthology of Nonsense. That is, random stuff that no one really cares about.

BYUSA Elections
This week has been the BYUSA elections. I almost feel like I shouldn't even give it the time necessary to belittle it. These candidates and their underlings get all hyped up about the BYUSA elections, bothering everything with hands that comes within 20 feet of them by shoving fliers at them. Luckily I have been able to avoid almost all of their attacks. I was confronted once while walking to work with, "Have you voted yet?" to which I responded, "Not going to." And kept on walking. Do these people honestly believe that as the President of BYUSA they will be able to bring about some fundamental change about life at BYU? Surely they understand that BYUSA has no power and is simply a little club for these kids to play in and feel like they matter without bothering real people with their nonsense. I've been at BYU for five years now and I have never seen anything different occur from year to year. Every person makes this lame promises about things like getting a BYU student radio station or bringing bands to the Marriott center; which of course they have no power to do because the Board of Trustees controls these decisions and consistently says, "No". So I agree with the random Political Science major who wrote into the Daily Universe when I say the only person I would ever go out of my way to vote for is the candidate that promises to dissolve the BYUSA and refund its budget to the student body. That would be worth it.

2 comments:

erin said...

Dissolving BYUSA. Now that's an idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Some ideas for Part III of your anthology:

--the course requirements and possible research topics to get a PhD in Horribleness

--your best Halloween costumes

--unusual but good recipes

--your vision for the Glorious Revolution of the Dissolution of BYUSA(SSR . . .)

--behind-the-scenes look at how exactly you do something like fix character encoding