Saturday, March 15, 2008

Reflection upon a Saturday

Today was quite busy. For some reason all of my weekends in March are scheduled up with events. They all filled up about mid-February. Normally my weekends are pretty relaxed, no strict plans, just sort of whatever comes up. But March, March is packed.

This morning was the Rex Lee Run. So I got up at 7:35 (my alarm was set for 8, but I couldn't sleep), ate a light breakfast and prepped for the run. About 30 minutes before start time I went out to drive over to the course. First I had to scrape ice off my windows, I was not pleased to be needing to scrape ice on a day I needed to run. My lungs don't do well in cold weather. In the winter I run in the indoor track because of this. The cold air hurts, and is too thin; it deprives me of desperately needed oxygen. Considering the fact that part of my left lung is stapled closed, and that my training hasn't been as intense this semester (so my VO2 max was not as high as it could be) I need all the oxygen I can get. Anyways, I went to the race and boy did I feel the lack of oxygen. When I finished my legs weren't even really tired, but I couldn't get enough oxygen. Which is really annoying. I wasn't even pushing the limits of my muscles, instead I was limited simply by the thinness of the air. I didn't do as well as last year, but (as I said) I didn't train as hard. I was able to run in under 26 minutes, not great compared to my ~23 minute run of 2007, but meh.

After the run I had to rush home and get all cleaned up to give a presentation in the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences Spring Research Conference. Luckily my request for a time after noon was granted, as I didn't arrive on location until about 11:15. My presentation went well, and my movies worked this year, which was nice. The audience seemed to be engaged and interested, so hopefully the judges liked it too.

After that I bought some good lunch foods, went home, ate a whole bunch of food, watched some X-Files, and slept for a few hours. At which point it was time to begin preparations for the ward activity. We signed up to host some people for dinner for the ward activity, so Papa Funk and I got home from shopping (after he got out of work) around 5:30 and began cleaning up the house and cooking. We were all set at the specified time of 7:00. The ward was meeting at the chapel for appetizers at 6:30 and then was splitting up according to assignments to the host houses for dinner. We waited, and waited, figuring it was normal for people to be late. Finally around 7:40 we got tired of waiting and called the people in charge to find out what was going on. Apparently, since we were home cooking and not eating appetizers at 6:30 they assumed that we were no longer participating (despite the 4-5 phone calls throughout the week in which we confirmed our plans to make dinner). So they didn't send anyone to us. So we had food for about 10 people, and only 2 people to feed.

So Papa Funk and I said, "Screw it." and sat down to an excellent meal (it was very good), while watching an episode of X-Files. And now we have good food to eat for the next week or so....

Now I'm exhausted, and going to sleep.

P.S. to Olympus:
Where have you been all week! We've only talked for like 5 minutes. You need to stop having meetings and start only having one job again. ;-)

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

You can tell I've been out all week as I only just now saw this post :)

I want to hear more about your run and the presentation.