Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Running

By the request of a very important reader I hereby present an in depth narrative of my participation in the Rex Lee Run.

Wake up. Darkness. What time is it? Can't read the clock without my glasses. 7:45, groan. My alarm is set for 8:00, can't sleep. Get out of bed, walk downstairs. Enter the kitchen and grab a Nutri-Grain bar and a banana for breakfast. Chase that down with some V8-Splash Strawberry Banana Smoothie. Now we wait. I wander around the house doing menial tasks until it's time to leave for the race. I put my contacts in, pin my running number to my shirt and attach the timing chip to my shoe. I decide to run in long sleeves because it's going to be cold.

8:40, I walk to my car- it's covered in ice, grrr. I start up the engine and grab the scraper. Scrape, scrape, scrape. I hop in and cruise over to campus. The parking lots on the corner of Canyon Rd and University Ave are not as packed as I expected. I find a spot, leaving everything but my keys in the car. I join the other participants wandering in from all directions to the track. The cannon sounds signaling the beginning of the 10K. I jog around the track to try to warm up my cold muscles. Stretch, stretch, I'm as ready as I'm going to be. I find a place to leave my stuff while I run, and take off my warm-up pants figuring my legs will be alright. My hands are already cold though; should have worn gloves.

They're calling us up to the starting line for the 5K. I make sure my iPod is all set and make my way through the crowds to a position about 1/3 of the way from the front. The cannon sounds off again and the crowd is moving. My iPod is set on repeat to Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames. The energy of the music drives me forward.

The race begins with an uphill climb along University Parkway. I try to find my pace amongst the crowd of varying speeds. The ground flattens out as we curve into the parking lot behind the Harman building, the 10K course meets up and some of those runners make it even more crowded. Slightly downhill heading towards the Marriott Center, I'm keeping my pace, and feeling pretty good. We turn onto 1430 N where a confused girl is attempting to drive her car despite the numerous barriers and traffic cones. More downhill as we hit 900 East and head past Heritage halls to the Law building lot. I'm still feeling pretty good, but I know what's coming up: The Hill of Death.

As we round the corner onto East Campus Drive a runner at the front of a cluster makes a crucial error by misunderstanding the course direction and takes an entire group off course until they hear the others yelling for them to turn around. The 10K runners split off to the left as we turn onto 900 N, the start of the Hill of Death. Luckily this year I knew it was there and was ready for it. I cranked up my music a little louder, leaned forward, breathed harder, and took it head on. I fought up and up as I felt a cramp forming on my right side. I needed to get off the hill as quickly as possible before the cramp could destroy me. My breathing probably sounded like I was dying, I needed oxygen so badly.

The Hill of Death was over, I had conquered, but not without a price. The cold air was thin, and taking its toll on my system. I could no longer feel my fingers, and my skill in moving my hands was reduced to that of a 10 month old infant. I had to slow my pace as I reached the flat ground in order to get some air in me. We continued along South Campus Drive and then switching to the pedestrian path down the hill to 800 North. I had hoped reaching the bottom of the hill would allow me to pick my pace back up for the final stretch on flat ground. Sadly, I soon rediscovered that the road along 150 E and Canyon Rd is uphill, not a lot, but you can feel it in your legs. I held my pace up as much as I could, promising myself that as soon as I hit the track I'd put in everything I had left.

I round the corner onto 1430 N and head through the gate to the track. This is it, I'm going to use every drop of Oxygen my lungs can muster. My legs aren't tired, I simply can't get enough air to move with. I speed up to as fast as my poor lungs will allow. My headphones jostle off my ears and I whip them around my neck to keep them off the ground. I follow around the turn at the north end lining up for the final push. I try to get on my toes for that last little speed boost. My left side begins cramping up to join my right side. My breathing is ridiculous and I feel like my lungs will explode. Finally I step across the finish line, making sure to hold my speed until I hear the *beep* sounding my completion. Then I walk, I walk and I breathe. My legs are fine, but I need oxygen and I need it now. I step out of the way to pause for a minute just to breathe. Then I walk to the volunteers who are clipping off the timing chips and I head for the tables with oranges and water. I begin to remember just how cold I actually am. I can't hold the water because I can't move my fingers, and the juices from the orange feel warm on my skin. I find a heater and stick my hands in front.

I wander back towards the track to find my coat, and warm-ups. I stick my hands in my pockets and find my leather driving gloves, my hands go in. To my pleasant surprise I also find a winter beanie and that goes on my now cold head. I check my time and it's over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. Thank you for FINALLY changing your template so that it does not match mine. It makes my eyes less confused.

2. That is more than I ever thought I would know about the inner workings of someone in a race. I'm glad you shared them with me seeing as *I* will never be in a race like that. :-P