Thursday, September 04, 2008

Amen to That

The Daily Kos has a post by "trenttsd" entitled "A Palin convert". I don't know anything about this trenttsd, but I felt the same way he did as I watched Palin's speech last night. I would recommend reading his little post and then re-read her speech and see that he is exactly right. The entire speech contained very little aside from a series of accusations and attacks upon the Democratic party and its candidates.

The worst part, which sickened me when I watched her say it, was about three-quarters through:
Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... he's worried that someone won't read them their rights? -- Sarah Palin Sept 3, 2008

And the most disturbing part was the wild shouts, cheers, and applause that followed that statement.

I am absolutely worried that someone won't read them their rights. I am absolutely concerned that they be allowed to speak with competent legal counsel and appear in a courtroom before a judge and jury. I am fully committed to requiring the government to produce a writ of habeas corpus detailing exactly what they are being charged with.

If we don't do these things then we have abandoned everything that makes this country different and great. We claim that we want liberty and justice for all, that explicitly means that we cannot tack on little caveats such as "except for the people we think don't deserve it".

Sarah Palin, by uttering such a ignorant statement you have proven to me that you understand nothing about what this country stands for. You understand nothing about why this country is loved by so many. And you understand nothing about leading the world to a better future.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Amen and amen.