Monday, September 11, 2006

Maybe I just don't get it

Suppose there is a theoretical all-encompassing set of things which a person can understand and comprehend. There are a large number of things which I understand in that set. I get that people lie. I get the concepts of supply and demand. And, to a certain extent, I even get fashion. But then there are all sorts of things which I don't get. There are many things which I do (which are 'good'), but that I am not even sure I agree with doing. It is a troublesome state brought about by my fairly strong cynicism, as well as my general pessimism....

I have yet to find a way to reconcile my actions with my lack of understanding.



Then there is always the nebulous set of all things pertaining to the opposite sex. But it is more general even than this, we just see the effect most commonly in dealing with the opposite sex. The problem is truly in the inability to understand why other people think and act the way they do. Every once in a while you can see a connection as it mimics your own being, but mostly it just makes no sense. In the end I guess it is merely a communication style on a non-verbal level.

In philosophy it is generally said that communication is merely an attempt to get someone else to read your mind. That is, the goal of communication is the make another person think the same thing you are. This is why we develop languages both verbal, written, and signed. The grunting and pointing just wasn't working out very well. Now the dance of social interaction is a delicate weave of saying things which show very little correlation to what you're feeling. The true communication must occur on a non-verbal level, for the most part, in most situations, with most people.

This is what makes communication between the sexes so difficult, more so than the same communcation between members of the same gender. I would wager to guess that most members of the same gender would have a higher probably of communicating non-verbally in the same way. Not so across genders. Which is why we may or may not devote alot of brain power trying to decide whether a smile was just a smile or if a smile was a non-verbal communique of deeper emotion which will allow for a mutual relationship that will blossom into eternal love, such that the heavens will open and light will shine down and a chorus will sing as you smile back.

But I may just be full of nonsense, as I said from the start, there's a fairly high likelihood that I just don't get it.

No comments: