Wednesday, September 06, 2006

This is BYU, but.....

So In the past two days I've had classmates respond to a question by the teacher with a true, but distracting answer that involves some gospel principle. Yes, this is BYU, but I'm here to learn about the class, not some gospel tangent because you've been home from your mission for 2 weeks and don't know how to discuss anything else.

Example A:
Class: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
Question: .... So what is intelligence?
obnoxious guy A (self-proclaimed home from mission for 10 days): 'The glory of God is intelligence.'
... See how this doesn't help the discussion at hand?

Example B:
Class: History of Creativity
Question: ... What are some uses of this paper cup?
obnoxious guy B: 'An object lesson about church structure.'
.... Also not helping the discussion of the class get where it needs to go.

Perhaps I'd better enjoy classes at a secular institution, because it just annoys me to get answers like this during class. It slows down the class and doesn't provide anything helpful. We don't have time to enter a debate about what "The glory of God is intelligence" means. And I don't care that you can use a paper cup as an object lesson, that's an arbitrary comment, which is, at best, tangential to the topic.

Anyone else feel this way?

2 comments:

Rachel Helps said...

hahaha... yes, sometimes!

N.F. said...

See, that's so interesting to me. Having WISHED that I were able to attend BYU but didn't, I would LOVE to hear one of my classes at school incorporate a Gospel principle. Luckily I don't live on campus at my school; but there is SO much drinking and partying. What I wouldn't give to hear: God is intelligence....