Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Another excuse

So I now use this blog as a respite from my work. When I hit a wall and my motivation drops, I find ways to kill time. I'll read slashdot, play video games, read the news, check out the various blogs I keep up on, and now submit posts to this blog, as I'm doing right now. See I just finished finding a way to the other side of a wall I hit yesterday, and now want a little break before taking the next step.

So it's been said (and proven I think) that everyone has a mood cycle (if you will) where they go from feeling good to feeling slightly bad on a regular basis. It's not a drastic change, nor is it a mood swing. It's likely something that happens over the course of weeks, not hours. For me this usually occurs in stretches varying from 5 days to about 12 days. Oddly enough I've recently been able to detect this phenomenon more easily based upon my clothing choices. Having gone through an interesting fashion update in June I now have my older clothes which are decidedly unfashionable, and my newer clothes which are quite fashionable. When I'm in a good mood I wear my new clothes, for they help me feel like I can take on the world. When I'm in a bad mood I wear my old clothes, possibly because I don't want to accentuate my presence, and my old clothes are certainly nothing to notice.

Having read "Blink" I realize that my clothing choice is probably perpetuating my mood in either direction. So it would actually be a rather intelligent move to wear my newer clothes more often, and force a smile when I'm feeling bad, because, as "Blink" tells us, a fake smile will affect your brain and cause you to actually become happier, cute little trick, and it does work, try it sometime.

No comments: