Thursday, August 17, 2006

Brick Wall

Ever just realize that the project you're working on at work is way more complicated than you anticipated? Yah, so I was not happy today at work. I had a problem when I started this project, where I couldn't see the trees for the forest, and I kept getting overwhelmed by the scope. So I finally sat down and organized my tasks and starting taking them one at a time. I've made good progress, but the whole forest kind of came back into view today, and my motivation levels dropped pretty hard. I've managed to put some blinders on though and at least focus on what needs to be done...

It's so strange how things just fall into my life. My job just kind of came upon me through almost no effort of my own. I have a couple of open-source projects of which I am the lead developer, that just sort of fell into my life (including the one I'm working on for my job). My position on the board kind of just happened too. It's weird. Through no planning of my own I've been put in positions that have forced me to learn a number of knew things: OpenGL, MySQL, PHP, Python, AJAX, multi-threaded programming, OpenCV, more than I've ever planned on learning about Computer Graphics... and the list goes on..... life is strange...

No comments: