Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Complications of life

Ever meet someone so similar to someone else you know that it's uncanny?

It's weird. The last relationship I was in ended last September, it lasted 34 months. It started in high school and then became long distance, very long distance, as in >2000 miles long distance. But it wasn't the distance that ended the relationship. Nor was it a change in heart in either of us. It was simply me trying to do the right thing. See, she wasn't a member of the my church. She had played with the idea of joining, even so much as going to church on her own, and meeting with the missionaries a couple of times. Then she just wasn't interested. For some reason this suddenly bothered me. Maybe it was because many people I was friends with were getting married, so I had realized that I needed to do something with the situation. So anyways, that relationship ended for no reason other than I was trying to be 'righteous'.

Then there's this new girl. The strange thing is, from as much as I know about her so far, she's like a doppleganger of my previous girlfriend. Is it weird for me to feel strange entertaining the notion of dating her? I'm sure that the more I get to know her the more I will see the differences, but there are still so many similarities that it doesn't feel right.

So maybe it will help to know the similarities, so here is a sampling without too much detail:
A. Similar in appearence: Build, hair color, eye color, hair style, clothing style, speech pattern...
B. Similar sense of humor.
C. Similar interests / hobbies / job experiences
D. Similar personalities overall...

Now there are a few important differences: mainly major, background, family life.

My fear is tansference.

Would it be fair to allow my feelings from my past relationship (which are definitely still there, living just below the surface of my emotional control....) to influence my role in a future relationship?

Something I must ponder before I can allow my life to run its course again.... man... my 5 year life-plan is getting ripped apart before I even start living it....

1 comment:

Rachel Helps said...

That's a legitimate worry.
My <100 Hour Advice:
Keep in mind that she's not the other girl.
(yeah, lame I know)