Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A stressful start

So I moved into my new place on Saturday. That is to say, I moved all of my stuff into the living room of my new place on Saturday. Our beds didn't arrive until 8:30 that night, so arranging bedrooms was a little tricky before then. Let me give you brief description of this place:

House -- built before electricity -- therefore all wiring is retro-fitted in, meaning one outlet per bedroom (modern, grounded wiring in kitchen and bathroom in order to pass inspection) all other wiring is simple two-prong -- The north side of the roof is covered in moss and fungus -- Vines cover the South and West sides, covering 4 windows -- No dishwasher -- No washer dryer -- Kitchen is an ugly yellow-brown color -- All walls are filthy with layers of grime -- If the windows are closed it begins to smell very musty and there is probably mold growing in the walls -- A swamp cooler hangs over the back entrance, and leaks all over making the back entrance unusable.

So, it needs a lot of work. Most of Saturday, all of Monday, and all my free time Tuesday was spent working on this place. I painted my room a lovely "Summer Pecan" with "Frontier Brown" trim. I repainted the window white (it was some grey color where there was paint). I got my bookshelf in my room and all my books on it, I bought a small, blue area rug at Ikea that brings out the color of the sheets and quilt on my bed. The light was a bare bulb fixture, I bought a new covered fixture at Wal-Mart that I will install tomorrow. I bought two hanging lights from Ikea to add light to the corners. I'll be hanging the beautiful paintings I commissioned a couple years ago as well as a couple of beechwood shelves I bought at Ikea. I scrubbed down the walls in the hallway, and took the doors off the cabinets in the kitchen. I ripped the vines off the outside, and called MStar to get a fiber optic line installed for internet access.

Basically, I'm putting my heart into this place (not to mention my wallet) in order to make this place feel like a home. You will definitely be seeing before and after shots once I'm done. Oh, I'm also going to run my own grounding wire from my outlet so that I will have more stable power to connect my computer to.

Also on Monday I went to my sister's apartment at Glenwood and hung a shelf for her and put together her desk. I've been feeling very handyman-ish, but am quickly getting worn out.

Classes have started, and while I only have one a day (grad school rocks), they will still require work and energy. I'm also a TA again and once the kids start hitting that rough Computer Science theory they'll be coming in for help.

No comments: