Saturday, September 22, 2007

Disaster Zone and Life Update

My room is a complete disaster right now. Yesterday between work and dinner I had about an hour and a half, during which I went to my sister's to pick the last remnants of my stuff that was there. (Partially because I needed to pick up my suits, and partially because I just needed to do it.) So I got it home and basically just dumped stuff all over my room so that I could rest for 10 minutes before getting ready for dinner. Then upon returning home about midnight, I mostly just pulled the stuff off my bed and tossed it on the floor so that I could fall asleep. Maybe in the next hour or so I'll get the motivation to clean it up. Yah, I'll do that, put the doors back up, paint them white, and take some "after" pictures of my room. Ok, so maybe some of that will happen.

Anyways. I'll give a more complete account of my evening now that I'm conscious and functioning again:

A few weeks ago I signed up for the Computer Science Department Alumni Dinner. It's described as being for alumni and their families, but I figured I could RSVP for two and bring a date, since otherwise I probably wouldn't go. At the beginning of this week Krishna convinced me to buy tickets to the Big Bands Homecoming Dance, again I figured I would be able to get one of my friends to come along if all else failed. So I asked a girl if she'd like to go, she couldn't because she already had plans. So I asked another girl, same thing. And another, same thing. And another, same thing. At which point I was rather frustrated, annoyed, and becoming slightly depressed. So I made the second previous blog entry announcing my plight to my readers here on The Life of CPM blog. As all can see I did get a response from alishka babushka. She even went the whole nine yards and submitted a dating application. Ok, so honestly, the first thing I did was Facebooked her (I'm now using that as a verb, why not?), it may seem a little stalker-ish to Facebook someone, but come on, one must protect oneself from falling in with crazies, right?. Her Facebook information checked out, so I figured, "What the heck? I Might as well give this a shot."


So after picking up stuff from my sister's I got dressed in my tan suit from Banana Republic (I love that suit) with my burnt orange shirt and the chocolate brown with blue stripes tie that Poppa Funk gave me for my birthday. I even busted out the contacts, which I only wear on special occasions due to fact that they are my only remaining pair at the moment. I'm not one to boast about myself very often, but dang I looked good ;-). I went and picked up alishka at a quarter to 6. She had a fabulous red skirt with a black top, polished off with a rose in her hair. *ahem* Girl, you looked good.

Dinner went was quite good. We sat with my coworker and his family. Had Hawaiian barbecue with red juice. Watched some presentations, and the student animation "Las Pinatas". They then provided each alum with a DVD containing that short film, as well as the short film "Der Ostwind" which I saw last year at the student animation showcase, and I thought it was the best one there, and have wanted a copy of it for a while. After dinner we walked over to the HFAC and viewed the paintings on display. Then proceeded to the MOA to see the new "Cliche and Collusion" exhibit. It's an interesting look on how media affects our lives, and invades our thinking. The confusing messages that bombard us daily, the short attention spans we've developed as a society, and the suggestive marketing that pervades the media was all depicted in various ways. There are two full room video displays as part of the exhibit. One presents a journal style story of trip to a tropical island. The other was much more emotionally filled. It's a dark room with a mirror ball spinning, putting you in a romantic dance atmosphere. Then on three walls there are projectors displaying various phrases like "I've waited my whole life for this moment", "You are my love", "I'm so glad I finally found you" and the like. I think it would be the most romantic place in the world to propose to someone. So for anyone out there reading this and planning to ask that special question, it would be a great place.

After leaving the MOA we walked to the car to drop off the DVD so that I wouldn't have to hold it, or worry about it disappearing. Then we went in to the dance. alishka taught me the basic step to a couple of dances including the Triple Step and the Foxtrot. I did what I could to learn quickly, and hopefully didn't make too much of a fool of myself, as she's a real dancer. The dance was great, I really enjoyed the Big Band music (it was a full live band! like in Swing Kids!). I think the older style music made the evening feel more.... respectable. It's not the kind of music that you'll see people bumpin' and grindin' to. I dunno, something about it made the atmosphere seem more mature, which I really liked. We met up with Krishna and her date at the dance and chatted with them a little.

The whole evening was amazing. I really enjoyed myself, which I was very happy about since I was feeling pretty down about the whole thing beforehand. It was the first 'blind' date I'd ever been on, and probably the least awkward first date.


This morning I got up and rode in the Wells Fargo stagecoach in the Homecoming Parade. My roommate (Wells Fargo employee) was invited to bring some friends and ride, so we did. It was pretty fun. I never figured I'd ever be in a parade again after leaving High School with Marching Band, especially since I'd never even watched the Homecoming Parade before.

But anyways, that's my story. I'm feeling much better about life in general after the past 18 hours. Now I'm going to try to clean up my room. Oh, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" started again yesterday, so we'll watch that later this evening, so excited.

4 comments:

Chillygator said...

That makes me laugh a little since I was the one weird enough to ask my friend to ask you to make a dating application (o: (which, clearly, never filled out because, well, life goes in different directions) (hmm...you you just happened to make one about the time my friend asked for it. It could happen).

I'm glad you guys had such a great date, though! Are you going out again?

Heather said...

Isn't it great when going out on a limb turns out so well? I love that feeling. =)

enigmatic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
enigmatic said...

I can't believe Avatar started and I didn't know about it!!! has anything good happened?

It sounds like a really fun night!